Saturday, June 2, 2007

Golf

What can I say! I love it; being outdoors, walking, spending time with good friends and family, trying to improve yourself at a sport. Participating sport is a big deal to me. I have never been athletic! I was never encouraged to be so and was overweight most of my life. So here I am now, most likely, the fittest I have ever been and enjoying it. Today it was 29C, can I say it WORD. That's it word! (meaning in this case great). We had some great shots, hitting the pin, parring a par 5, great drives, putts and chips. I didn't realize how great it can feel to exert yourself physically, that really, we were made for it. Thanks to my friends for making it a wonderful day M & K, & MT!

All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it to win an eternal prize. So run straight to the goal with purpose in every step, not like a boxer who misses his punches. Discipline your body like an athlete, training it to do what it should...
1 Cornithians 9: 25-27

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that we are physical animals capable of athletic prowess, as long as it has the proper focus of uniting all people. I find that I get discouraged (this stems mostly from my experiences being in Calgary when the flames were in the finals) when "home team" mentality takes over and the goal becomes smiting and deriding the other competitors. It's like the boiling frog. If you allow hostility into the picture via sports it can easily transition into other facets of human experience and have a negative contribution, such as nationalism or (a very extreme example) eugenics and the like. Slippery slope?